Travel with a purpose!
Join alumni, family and friends on an inspiring trip to Ghana
August 4 – August 14, 2016
Register now – Deadline is February 28, 2016!
“I wish to be useful” – Nathan Hale
The Yale Alumni Service Corps invites you – alumni, family, and friends as we return to Yamoransa, Ghana to build on the work we’ve done over the last three years. Join us to participate in a meaningful cultural exchange, make a difference in a developing village, and experience Ghana in a unique way.
Our work will be done in partnership with the University of Cape Coast, AFS Ghana and GhanaThink – vibrant organizations with local volunteers who will collaborate with us during our week in Yamoransa and continue to sustain select efforts after we leave. The friendships we develop with our NGO partners during the trip provide another level of richness to the experience.
Yamoransa is a small town in the hilly Central Region of Ghana, along the beautiful Ghanaian coastline and near the town and University of Cape Coast. It sits on the main road between Accra and Cape Coast. It has a population of approximately 4,700 and its economy consists mostly of small scale entrepreneurial ventures, dominated by women involved in a variety of trades from selling kenkey – a local food that Yamoransa is famous for – to hairdressers, bread-makers, fruit sellers and provision store owners. There is no running water in the town and no medical facilities.
Working in collaboration with our partners, we will work on a wide range of projects in the areas of public health/medical, education and arts, athletics, construction, and business consulting. You have the choice to:
- Work on light construction and finish work for the Information Communications & Technology Center (ICTC), a project started by YASC volunteers and members of the community in the summer of 2012.
- Set up a library in one of the rooms in the ICTC as a reading room. Volunteers are needed to design the library, source books and materials, and create a plan to sustain the effort.
- Teach children in the primary and middle schools with an emphasis on developing reading skills, arts and crafts, drama, and music.
- Build on previous business consulting work with micro business owners, primarily women, that included teaching basic finance, developing cooperatives, and connecting storeowners directly to manufacturers to reduce supply chain costs. You will also have an opportunity to develop a business plan for the ICTC.
- Coach sports and organize clinics with the primary and middle school children. Popular activities will include Frisbee, relay races, running, dance, and soccer.
- Partner with the Nursing School at University of Cape Coast to provide screening and health education centered around women’s health, childhood health, birth control, safe sex, STD’s as well as physical therapy. You will also have a choice to join an eye clinic and provide basic eye examinations and administering of eye glasses.
No special skills are required. If you want to join us on our trip to Yamoransa, we will find a volunteer opportunity for you. Alumni from all classes and all graduate and professional schools — and their friends and family — are welcome.
There is no better gift you can give your children, ages 10 and older, than working with them side by side while serving a developing community. As on our prior programs, you will find this trip to be a life changing experience – for you, and the people you meet.
We encourage you to sign up soon as we have limited capacity for this trip!
The cost is $2,150 per person, double occupancy for African Village rooms ($175 single supplement), and $2,230 double occupancy for Coconut Grove Resort rooms ($295 single supplement). All prices exclude international airfare. The deadline for registration is February 28, 2016 or whenever we reach capacity, whichever occurs first.
Please also join us for a sightseeing extension. We are offering a pre-trip to Togo and Benin with Ashanti Tours beginning on July 29th and ending on August 4th, at an additional cost of $1,630, double occupancy, with a single supplement of $610.
Please feel free to contact the trip producer Gertrude (Trudie) Agbozo at email@example.com or co-producers Lisa and Bob Unsworth at firstname.lastname@example.org or João Aleixo from YASC at email@example.com.